23 1 / 2012
(These totally vary by center.)
- Level > 25%
- Level > 15% (if pregnant)
- Fetal Distress
- Age > 60
- Neuro Findings
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Headache or Chest Pain
Maybe Prevents Delayed Neuro Sequelae (Conflicting Data):
- Basal Ganglia Infarcts
And Psych Sequelae:
- Trouble concentrating
- Depressed Mood
- Remember, all tubes (foley, eg) must be filled with water, not air!
22 1 / 2012
HbCO levels often do not reflect the clinical picture, yet symptoms typically begin with headaches at levels around 10%. Levels of 50-70% may result in seizure, coma, and fatality.
CO is eliminated through the lungs.
- Half-life of CO at room air temperature is 3-4 hours.
- One hundred percent oxygen reduces the half-life to 30-90 minutes;
- Hyperbaric oxygen at 2.5 atm with 100% oxygen reduces it to 15-23 minutes.